Learn here more about ear piercing types. A simple earring looks classy and elegant – but is always a bit boring. Ear piercing jewelry is far too creative and versatile to be limited to just a single earring. “Curated Ears” are therefore more and more in vogue – piercings in which several types are combined to make your ear a total work of art.
What ear piercings types are there?
To beautify your ear, you have several ways to choose from. The most important are:
Helix: It is pierced into the bulging border of the auricle and is one of the most popular piercings in Germany.
Industrial: The industrial is a double piercing that should be done at the same time if possible. The two holes are connected with a rod.
Lobes: Long gone are the days when women or men were satisfied with a single simple earring. Lobes can be wonderfully duplicated with upper lobes.
High praise: are pierced slightly above the normal ear hole. A plug is usually worn as jewelry here. Above the normal ear hole or in the spaces between upper lobes, you have the opportunity to be simply and yet creatively decorated.
Conch: The conch is pierced in the pinna in the middle of the ear. Multiple piercings are usually possible.
Flat: Flat piercings are not pierced on the edge of the ear, but in the flat region in the middle of the upper half of the ear. Several small flats look very nice in combination together.
Daith: Daith piercing pierces the cartilage that lies on the inside of the auricle. A daith is a popular accessory among actors and influencers.
Rook: A rook piercing is pierced in the small crease above the tragus. However, this is not strong enough for everyone. So let an experienced piercer advise you on whether the jewelry is even possible for you.
Tragus: Tragus refers to the cartilage that lies in front of the ear canal. It is pierced during the tragus piercing.
Antitragus: The antitragus is pierced in the cartilage opposite the tragus and above the earlobe. It is among the most painful piercings in the ear.
How is a piercing done?
While a normal ear piercing is often pierced by a jeweler using an ear piercing gun, any other piercing requires the experience and equipment of an experienced piercer. Many ear piercings are so-called cartilage piercings. Not only is the skin pierced, but also a piece of bone. They carry special risks and have a longer healing time.
Cartilage piercings in particular can not only be pierced with a cannula but also punched. With the dermal punch, the tissue is not just displaced, as is the case with piercing but is literally punched out. When punching, there is less pressure pain and the healing time is also significantly reduced. However, cartilage tissue cannot be reproduced by the body, which means that the hole will not grow back.
- Before the appointment, you should prepare accordingly for the stinging:
- Avoid alcohol, nicotine, coffee, and drugs.
- Wash your hair beforehand so you don’t have to do it with a fresh piercing.
- First of all, a piercing is an injury that must be carefully cared for so that it can heal without problems. Cartilage piercings in particular are prone to inflammation. Therefore you should consider a few things:
- Clean and disinfect the piercing twice a day.
- You can remove encrustations, cooled chamomile tea, or some saline solution from the pharmacy.
- Do not play around with the piercing unnecessarily and only touch it with freshly washed hands.
- Avoid strenuous physical activities such as sports and activities that make you sweat at first.
- Treat yourself and your body to rest to support the healing process.
- You should avoid saunas, solariums, and swimming pools in the first few weeks because of the high bacterial load.
- If possible, sleep on the unpierced side so as not to put too much strain on your ear.
- Keep care and cosmetic products such as shampoo, hairspray, creams, or make-up away from your fresh piercing. Masking it off with a plaster can help you with this.
Which piercing jewelry for the ear?
There is a wide range of jewelry for ear piercings. From filigree small studs to larger ornaments for cartilage piercings, you will find many beautiful models, especially on the Internet. A special eye-catcher is small rhinestones. Graphic shapes and stars, moons, and other astronomical motifs are also trending. It also looks nice when you combine simple studs with creoles.